Moshe Vardi's Answers
- What is the role/importance of real-time in modelling? Does industry want dense-time or discrete-time models?
important, but I personally saw, so far, no application that required
dense-time reasoning. (Perhaps timing analysis of circuits requires dense
- How does one involve small- and medium-size companies in collaborations with concurrency theoreticians/practitioners? Does "company size" matter?
- Is there any need for stochastic and probabilistic modelling in applications? More pointedly, have you met an example that you could not model because your tool does not support stochastic or probabilistic phenomena?
- How can we, as a community, foster the building of industrial-strength tools based on sound theories?
often the work of a single graduate student. Industry can put several PhD-level people on a single project.
- What has concurrency theory offered industry so far? What are the next steps that the concurrency community should take in order to increase the impact of its research in an industrial setting? And what are future promising application areas for concurrency research?
conceived, is model checking and the development of synchronous languages. At the same time, many research direction in concurrency theory, such as process calculi and bisimulation theory have had fairly minimal impact. The theory community is often attracted to research based on its theoretical appeal, which does not always correlate with its industrial applicability. This does not mean that industrial applicability should be the guiding principle of research. Nevertheless, it would be worthwhile to pause once in a few years and examine the potential applicability of